Thumbgen for R1/R3 with AMP POHD

Thumbgen for R1/R3 with AMP POHD

Postby momp945 » 19 Oct 2011, 23:05

I thought I'd make a short thread explaining how to create "moviesheets" using a program called Thumbgen for our R1/R3 boxes. This is very useful for those of us using the excellent new AMP firmware with POHD skin.

First, here is what a moviesheet generated using Thumbgen looks like for me:

There are many, many ways that different media players and media player software display this kind of movie information. Creating "moviesheets" with Thumbgen is a relatively simple way of doing this job. A "moviesheet" is simply a JPG that contains all the movie information (as the above example shows). The AMP firmware with POHD skin allows the user to display moviesheets by pressing a button on the remote while browsing through your movie collection.

How to create moviesheets

1. Download Thumbgen (thumbgen.org)
2. Change the profile to "ACRyan POHD". This is necessary so that Thumbgen names the moviesheet JPGs correctly so that the R1/R3 using AMP with POHD skin understands what they are.

3. Choose your "collector". This is the web source that the program will use to fetch the images and text data used to create the moviesheets. For English users, the best choice seems to be TheMovieDB.org. First select the checkbox next to TheMovieDB.org and then select both radio buttons as well.

4. For moviesheets to work correctly, your video files must each be in a separate folder. If your movie collection is not already in separate folders, this may be a big job for you. I'm sure there are utilities that will allow you to automate this process but I haven't used any so I can only suggest you try google to find one.

Name each movie's folder like so: "Movie Name (year)". In other words, you must have a main movie folder (i.e., "c:/Movies") and each movie must be in a separate folder within that main movie folder (i.e., "c:/Movies/MovieName1(2005)", "c:/Movies/MovieName2(1993)", and so on).
Thumbgen will create two JPGs in each movie's folder: 0001.jpg and folder.jpg.
folder.jpg is the movie's cover artwork. This will be displayed as the folder's thumbnail when browsing through your main movie folder.
0001.jpg is the moviesheet with all the movie details.

5. Now that you have a basic idea of what thumbgen does, let's create your moviesheets.
Note that there are a number of options that you can play with but you may leave them at their defaults and the program will work fine.
Click on "process files/folders" to begin.

6. Select your main movie folder. This will also select all the subfolders (i.e., individual movie folders).

7. You now have a few different ways of processing each movie folder. The first is called "manual mode". This takes the longest but gives the most accurate results because you have full control over how the moviesheet appears. This is what I recommend. You can also choose semiautomatic mode or automatic mode which require less user intervention and are faster but may not be accurate. Finally, you can choose "I'm feeling lucky" which is the fastest mode and does not allow any user intervention. The main problem that I've noticed with these faster/easier modes is that they sometimes select movie posters in foreign languages.

8. Select your desired way of processing each movie folder by clicking on one of the above buttons. Thumbgen will now search for the first movie by using it's folder name (movie name and year). Thumbgen is retrieving quite a bit of information so it may take a little bit of time. When it is done, a preview screen appears that allows you to manipulate what the moviesheet looks like (shown in the lower right-hand corner). You can change the cover artwork, backdrop, fanart, plot text, etc.

9. When your moviesheet is created as desired, click on "Generate them!" Thumbgen will now generate 0001.jpg and folder.jpg for the movie you were working on.

10. The same process as above is repeated for each movie in your collection. This may take a bit of time to accomplish if you have a large movie collection! In this case, you might try your luck at using the "I'm feeling lucky" mode and let Thumbgen work overnight for you.

11. Once you are done, start up your R1/R3 and use the file manager to browse to your main movie folder. To display each moviesheet, simply press the "slow" button on the remote while the desired movie's thumbnail is selected when browsing through your main movie folder. To exit the moviesheet and return to browsing your movie thumbnails, press "slow" again. Or, to play the movie while viewing the moviesheet, simply press play. You can also skip from one moviesheet to the next by using the up/down arrows. Note: the Asus remote control does NOT have a "slow" button! You will have to use moservice's IRFake to change one of your Asus remote buttons so that it sends the "slow" command. Read the discussion HERE to learn how to change IRFake so that your Asus remote has a "slow" button. Another option is to buy a Harmony unviversal remote control and program the POHD remote into it.

12. You may have noticed that my example moviesheet at the beginning of this post looks different from the default moviesheet that Thumbgen creates. This is because you can design your own moviesheets using the "Thumbgen designer" program. I'm using moviesheets created by user Lstar337 on another forum. You can download his templates HERE.

13. In addition to 0001.jpg and folder.jpg, Thumbgen creates a couple of other files by default: a .nfo and .tgmd. These might look like garbage to you but they can be quite useful in the future. These contain metadata for the moviesheet you have created. So, if you create moviesheets using the standard template and then later decide that you want to create moviesheets using a new template, you can use the "create from metadata" option. This allows you to create new moviesheets without having to go through the long "manual mode" process again. The new moviesheets will be created using the same cover artwork, backdrops, fanart, plot text, etc that you selected when you first created your moviesheets using the default template. This will be done without requiring any user intervention. This can save you a lot of time!

14. Thumgen has a *lot* of options and features that I have not discussed in this post. Have fun. Hopefully this post will help you get started with Thumbgen and moviesheets :D
ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrt)
Thanks to the developers!
momp945

Re: Thumbgen for R1/R3 with AMP POHD

Postby peperol2 » 20 Oct 2011, 21:57

Very good. I am new to using the software thumbgen. I commented that I followed the procedure outlined in http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 11&t=14167
and I movisheets of thumbgen generates a different design if it works with firmware for jukebox gui2.0 (generated with thumbgen and tvixie). The procedure says that to run updated some things on the ASUS to fit and operate the jukebox with thumgen. In fact we probe only 5 movies on a usb. I chose the manual procedure of processing folders and I could see that from taking pictures of the film can be used for movisheets. This is in addition to those obtained from selected sites in options. It's great.
Attachments
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (530.57 KiB) Viewed 17054 times
Asus O!play R3 (amp_r7 with POHD5440 skin), router TP-LINK model TL-WR1043ND, NAS ubuntu
peperol2

Postby momp945 » 20 Oct 2011, 22:09

I haven't tried using moviesheets with the jukebox. In my opinion the jukebox is too much time and effort to set up correctly and from what I've read it doesn't always work too well; many people complain the jukebox is slow and unstable. I like using moviesheets the simple way - by browsing my movie folder in the file manager. This is simple and quick.

It would be neat to have the slick GUI of the jukebox, but I'll wait to use it until more work has been done and it is easier to set up and more quick/stable.
momp945

Postby peperol2 » 24 Oct 2011, 21:59

Install the templates folder MegaPack mentioned in the following link http://www.wdtvlive.net/showthread.php? ... e-Pack-2.0 , finding a wide variety of Moviesheets. I really liked those Taurus35 Movie Sheets. They are very good.
Asus O!play R3 (amp_r7 with POHD5440 skin), router TP-LINK model TL-WR1043ND, NAS ubuntu
peperol2

Postby dmn1n » 25 Dec 2011, 15:57

Sorry to jump in, i do get to see the thumbnails in preview.
however i dont want to see 0001.jpg in the file manager.
I did try by adding "." as prefix to 0001.jpg. but doesn't seem to work.

FW - AMP (r6)
xtreamer pro
xtreamer pro with amp_r9_pohd
dmn1n

Postby Bartimaus » 11 Jan 2012, 16:43

Great program, many thx !

Is it possible to create the thumbnails in 1920*1080 pixels ?

Is it possible to browse thru 0001.jpg by clicking left or right ?
Best regards
B.

Xtreamer MK-I (Sidewinder)
amp_r7_pohd
QNAP-NAS TS410
DLink- 8Port Gigabyswitch(Green)
Bartimaus

Postby heinz » 11 Jan 2012, 20:24

http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1030&start=10#p18510

Follow that then hit the zoom button and it will go to moviesheets. You just scroll through them then.
ASUS HDP-R3 with AMP r9
heinz

Postby Bartimaus » 12 Jan 2012, 21:01

This FW-> amp_r7_pohd has Button "0" configured as "slow"
Works like a charm....
Best regards
B.

Xtreamer MK-I (Sidewinder)
amp_r7_pohd
QNAP-NAS TS410
DLink- 8Port Gigabyswitch(Green)
Bartimaus

Postby hecatomb » 01 Feb 2012, 00:30

First, of all. Thanks for all the valuable knowledge located on this site, I will definitely donate.

I got all this working, unfortunately on my O!Play R1 the 0001.jpg files display as the folder image as opposed to the folder.jpg image. The 'slow' command to enter the templates (0001.jpg) and scroll through them works beautifully though. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Cheers

EDIT: Thanks, forgot to do that. I'm accessing the files off of a Windows 7 Professional shared folder.
Last edited by hecatomb on 01 Feb 2012, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
Asus O!Play HDP-R1 (amp_r8_pohd) | DIR-655
hecatomb

Postby momp945 » 01 Feb 2012, 01:58

momp945

Next

Return to About Asus O!Play