Adding Netflix on O'Play Air

Adding Netflix on O'Play Air

Postby Elgrande » 24 Nov 2013, 05:34

Hi everybody, I've scrolled through the whole site and I've not seen any mention about adding Netflix to a HDP-R3, so I dare ask. Could it be possible? There is actually a version of the O'Play Mini Plus that's called Netflix and another version of the very same item that does not have the Netflix in the name, would that mean that there might be an extra chip inside? Or could it be just in FW?

Any answer would be appreciated and more so, if the solution is brought forward...

ayp
Last edited by Elgrande on 24 Nov 2013, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Elgrande

Re: Adding Nefflix on O'Play Air

Postby john3voltas » 24 Nov 2013, 08:17

Although I am pretty much ignorant on the innings of these players, I am convinced that Netflix (and any other flash or MP4 website) would be easily converted into a module similar to our Youtube module.
Unfortunately it seems that Netflix and others aren't much interesting on the eyes of our community otherwise we would already have modules for that.
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Re: Adding Netflix on O'Play Air

Postby Elgrande » 24 Nov 2013, 21:18

Following my first post, I found this on the Wikipedia page on Netflix.

Netflix API[edit]On October 1, 2008, Netflix launched an application programming interface (API).[245] The Netflix API[246] allows access to data for all Netflix titles as well as access on a user's behalf to manage their movie queue. The API is free and allows commercial use.[247] The Developer Network includes a forum for asking and answering questions. A variety of services have been created around the Netflix API or have integrated the API. Examples include Rotten Tomatoes and The New York Times, which allow users to click to add titles to their Netflix queue or begin watching on Watch Instantly from their pages,[248] and Jinni, which additionally enables search within Watch Instantly and import of some user information like reviews.[249]

The API has allowed many developers to release Netflix applications for mobile devices. On November 16, 2009 Netflix released an official Nokia app that allows some trailer streaming.[250] An official iPhone app was released on August 26, 2010.[128] In June 2012, Netflix announced that it would be cutting back the availability of its public API.[251]

IT infrastructure[edit]In 2010, Netflix migrated its infrastructure to Amazon EC2. Master copies of digital films from movie studios are stored on Amazon S3, and each film is encoded into over 50 different versions based on video resolution, audio quality using machines on the cloud. In total, Netflix has over 1 petabyte of data stored on Amazon, and the data are sent to content delivery networks (including Akamai, Limelight, and Level 3) that feed the content to local ISPs. Netflix uses a number of pieces of open-source software in its backend, including FreeBSD and nginx,[252] Java, MySQL, Gluster, Apache Tomcat, Hive, Chukwa, Cassandra, and Hadoop.[253]

Open source[edit]Netflix has made available as open source many of its internally developed infrastructure management products starting January 11, 2012.[254][255] This includes facilities for automatically scaling a service's hardware footprint and resources, as well as monitoring and maintaining the resiliency of all the supporting infrastructure through the Netflix Simian Army.

Seems to me that it could easily be implemented on a FW although I'm not a programmer.

ayp
Elgrande

Re: Adding Netflix on O'Play Air

Postby john3voltas » 25 Nov 2013, 11:18

Elgrande, I am quite sure that if we would ever see Netflix integration it would never be through the use of an API. But if Netflix is flash-based and if it supports RSS feeds, then I think that it could probably be handled by a module similar to our Youtube. In fact the same goes for Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc.
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Return to About Asus O!Play