Upgrade bootcode without cable (R1/R3 and HD2 players)

Re: Upgrade bootcode without cable (R1/R3 and HD2 players)

Postby robatmediaplayer » 30 Jul 2013, 14:33

ok, well I tried using http://moservices.googlecode.com/files/amp_r10_hd2.zip on my asus o!play hd player used usb firmware upgrade menu, yes you can't use USB on start up of the device, and when plug in either it loaded the usb drive or rebooted the whole system, the upgrade menu is then broken you can't restore from usb either HD2_FW_204 or HD2_FW_205 , it did load the blue looking hd2 menu, but the internal hd drive didn't load at all, you can try to format it in the start up menu but it fails, I tried and after restoring my asus o!play hd2 player with firmware version HD2_FW_204 which is a lot more stable from what I expereniced from loading amp_r10_hd2 onto the device, maybe you could remote access at fix all these problems, but I didn't want to have to do so since it may take a lot of work on my part, plus other people in my family use it for playing videos' too so I couldn't leave it in that state, I fixed the correct model firmware, by unplugging it, and using a pin on the reboot button, and got it into the firmware restore mode , then reloaded that HD2_FW_204 firmware , not the HD2_FW_205 2012 version since they broken the usb copy and delete menu from that firmware, so far as I know they never fixed the problem with the newest version of the firmware.

but yes if you want something blue skin it seems to work, but upgrading back to the default firmware isn't easy to get that pin reboot firmware restore menu, but it can be done, also again all my files where still on the 1TB or 2TB internal hard drive but the hard drive didn't seem to show up with my video files, until I restored it back to HD2_FW_204, also it complain about 20MB on drive C , and drive E not having anuff space message with the amp_r10_hd2 firmware, and it didn't seem to load the 1TB or 2TB internal drive, I don't remember which size it is , I didn't install it but my other family member in our house did so, that why I don't no the max space or brand name of the internal hd drive in this system player, I kind of was wishing for a more xbmc style skin or interface for the asus o!play hd2 so , I could at least use metadata style images, with the videos on the hd drives, not just play them etc..

I been using media center master, to create metadata for my files, and using xbmc media center on my pc, but the asus o!player seems kind of limited compared to xbmc system and its skins do look better, I am also going to post this once under a new topic of firmware with hd2 player , just to see if it can be made stable, but the internal drive is a big problem for me if it doesn't work under a modded firmware , the color blue skin is just not anuff if you can't use the builtin 1-2TB hard drive for me at least, it kind of scared me, when the hard drive didn't load, but then it did load again once I restored the original newer firmware. the firmware works in the since it loads, but comes with a lot of problems at least for someone who isn't sure how to fix all its problems, I didn't try the eithernet connect I am not sure if it worked or not, but firmware upgrade only show usb but it didn't work and so I had to unplug it with the USB again and pin the reboot button and then use the power back into it, it took me a few times trying before I got the restore firmware install , which then asked me for time , language etc.. info after restoring it , on the plus side all the files I had copy-ed was still on the hd drive, even thou I tried format from the amp_r10_hd2 menu it failed to format or access the drive, only the default firmware of hd2_fw_ 204 or 205 seems to get access to it

bottom line if you want to use a internal TB hard drive then I would wait on the firmware till its more stable like HD2_FW_204 version, modded firmware doesn't work well at least for me, USB drive caused reboot of system on amp_r10_hd2 which is a nice idea having the skin theme blue , but the trade off is no internal hard drive access , no going back to firmware HD2_FW_204 without forcing it back on with reboot pin and remoting using Linux to mount things, I didn't want to even try that, I could of mess it up more that way, I am just happy I was able to restore the other firmware, maybe I would of feel better about the modded firmware if the usb firmware menu option worked instead of rebooting the system when you tried to use it, that was I had to do the whole reboot pin with unplugging option , and yes sometimes on the modded firmware after full system start up the usb drive would load but sometimes it would also reboot the hd2 player which isn't so good, plus I didn't want to mess with getting the hd drive to work so much, since it didn't seem to detect it at all again I tried format with no luck and the files didn't show up that was their with the HD2_FW_204 version , again once I got the firmware restored all the files were back again it seems.
robatmediaplayer

Postby othelwaite » 21 Aug 2013, 07:10

Sorry - but when I unzip the bootcode 23 from the first post of this thread I do not get an install image file but instead get a folder full of files. When trying this on a usb stick my HDP-R1 does't recognize any install files.

I'm not a coder and am a total newbie at all this. Trying to fix the fact that the unit no longer sees my Seagate Xtreme e-SATA 1TB drive, which worked for years. This is ALL I need it for and I cannot connect via ethernet because my router fucked up the settings. So I need a USB stick solution otherwise I just have a brick.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
O!Play HDP-R1 1.35 - 1.41 Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme
othelwaite

Postby john3voltas » 21 Aug 2013, 22:58

Sorry buddy.
I just redownloaded the file on the 1st post (HDP_R3_FW_121PAL_BOOTCODE_23.zip) and it does indeed have an install.img inside the zip.
If I were you I would redownload from a different browser.
And BTW, you don't have a brick. If your router screwed up, you can connect your player back-to-back to you PC. Was your player picking up an IP address automatically from your router? If so, run a DHCP server on your PC. Maybe tftpd32 by jounin is a good solution. It will even tell you which IP the player grabbed so that you can easily connect to it later. Just a thought ;)
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby othelwaite » 22 Aug 2013, 02:51

OK - thanks - I used a different unzipping utility. Regular unzip was also extracting the img files, leaving no .img. Now the rouble is that I get the error message from the unit: Not For This Board. This works for an NTSC O!Play HDP-R1 - correct?
othelwaite

Postby john3voltas » 22 Aug 2013, 10:28

Be warned that this procedure has to be done very carefully. If it fails for any reason, you will have a hard-bricked device and will need a JTAG cable to revive it.
So follow these steps carefully.
Ok, did you pick a USB pendrive (formated in fat) and put the install.img on it's root folder?
If so, put the pendrive on the USB port of the player.
Disconnect the Power plug off the back of the player.
Press and hold the reset button of the player (next to the USB port). Easy on it because it is fragile ;)
While holding the reset button, put the Power plug back on the player.
(Make sure the power won't fail from this point onwards. Maybe use a small UPS for safety sake?)
The player should now install the new bootcode.

Hmmmm, you don't have an HD2, right? Don't follow my instructions.
Check the 1st post in this thread.
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby othelwaite » 23 Aug 2013, 06:17

OK - I followed the white text instructions, then installed the r11 FW ok! Now my e-SATA is recognized! THANKS!!!
othelwaite

Postby john3voltas » 23 Aug 2013, 15:13

othelwaite wrote:OK - I followed the white text instructions, then installed the r11 FW ok! Now my e-SATA is recognized! THANKS!!!

You were lucky. I should have erased my previous post (white text).
I was sure that my instructions work for HD2 player but I wasn't sure if they worked on R1/R3.
If it had failed on you, you would have ended up with a nice brick.
Luckily it works for R1/R3 too and you've updated your bootcode and were able to install AMP.
Congrats.
Cheers
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby othelwaite » 23 Aug 2013, 20:34

The key was to use the reset button on rebooting both times - on bootcode install and then on r11 install. When I instead tried to use the original System setting to install r11 it just gave me the "Not for this board" error.

The other thing about the e-SATA is that now I don't have to try to trick the damn unit into recognizing it. E-SATA drives are evidently notorious for not wanting to mount unless you turn off both the system and the drive and then boot both. With this oPlay I'd have to trick the thing by inserting the power cord into the unit and then a couple of seconds after that insert the power into the drive. This worked one time out of three. Eventually the drive would be seen and I'd get "Device Detected". The drive would never be detected if I already had the unit powered up and the system running. Now however, the drive mounts fine whenever. If only it also did that when I connect it to my Mac! (I have to hard boot both for it to mount.)

I may try to connect the OPlay to my network, although I have no idea how I can set my fucking router to make that work. Any advice would be welcome, thanks.
othelwaite

Postby john3voltas » 24 Aug 2013, 03:26

I don't understand how your router can stop it from working.
Unless if it's ports are setup for different VLAN's or simply shutdown not allowing traffic.
Because otherwise you just need to setup your player with an IP address similar to the rest of your network.
For instance, if your computer is 192.168.0.1 then you might try your player with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.50.
Just a thought ;)
Cheers
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Previous

Return to About Asus O!Play